A slice of the ad life

So I'm back to being a copywriter again.
And I've discovered that it makes me happy :)
Extremely happy!

I was born to be advertising's child, or so I'd like to think :)

Someone once asked me, "So you're a writer in an ad agency, I've heard you work on extreme timelines and deadlines? Are there many copywriters there? And what qualifications do you need to be a copywriter?"

I was ready to pour my heart out about all my hardships and then this is what I wrote:



Dear XYZ,

Yes I do work in an ad agency and there are writers there, not many though. There are no qualifications as such, if you can write, you can be a copywriter (but you have to be good, HAVE TO!).

A lot of it is experience, and that people pick up from client exposure and number of years in the business. But you gotta be crazy and real tough! Advertising is a crazy world and you gotta love it that much to be in it - that's my learning. :)

If you ask me, a job in advertising must come with a disclaimer :P But it's great work, you get to meet some really great people and it's a lot of fun! It's a way of life actually, if you like it, good for you. If you don't, God bless you! 

And by that I do not mean we pop bottles of beer in the day and just lie around - NO! 
Advertising is strictly for professionals.

Achievements are hugely liberating in advertising but the toil and sweat to get there, is a whole other ball game. So, if you're planning to switch over, be sure this is what you want. 

Regards

While writing this email, I realised how truly attached I am to the profession and how proud I am to be a part of it. What I also realised was - all the ads, craziness and liberation, though worth it, must never take over your life, and that's a hard balance to keep.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Man of Steel: Superman reinvented

The Jungle Book