'Tis the season to be jolly

Ok ok.
Yes yes.
I know I know.

I said I wouldn't go MIA again and that's exactly what I did.
But I had good reason - there is no singular thing one can write about this festive season!
There is so much cheer, happiness and activity, one's bound to get carried away and lose track of time.

So take a deep breath and smell Christmas in the air. A waft of yummy treats in the kitchen to the soft hum of Christmas carols. The church bells ringing in the background and Last Christmas playing in the cubicle next to yours (this song makes it on everyone's playlist this time of the year).

I fondly remember my hostel days when I think of Christmas.

The thing is, I lived in hostel for a couple of years when I was in college and my Christmas experience there, is by far the best I've ever had.

When I say hostel, I mean the strict kind - where our deadline was 7 pm and if you wanted to stretch 7.30 pm. It was run by a group of nuns and they were extremely strict about their timings. So strict that they would lock the gates and let the guard dogs out at 8 pm - I'm serious.

But Christmas time was a different time. As December approached, all hostelites were called to the mess everyday till Christmas to learn and practice carols. On the eve of Christmas we would dress up in white (as angels) with glittery head-gear and head out singing carols to other hostels and paying guest (PG) accommodations all night long (that's right, all night!). And then we'd attend midnight mass at church and return for some cake and wine. Oh what fun days those were!

On Christmas day, if I'm not mistaken, we used to go to a Christmas fair - dance performances, loud music, merry-making et al. And we girls used to freak out!

Hostel rules were easily flouted during this time right after which we all used to split to go home for new years. And once we were back, it was back to business. I must say, as much as we complained back then, there's no denying how much fun it really was. Good times :)

We've all come a long way since then and more glad than ever to have grown out of those deadlines especially! :P

To all the fun times had and all the new ones to come!
Merry Christmas everyone! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Man of Steel: Superman reinvented

The Jungle Book