One step for Krrish 3, a giant leap for Indian sci-fi

To be completely honest, I never thought I'd go watch Krrish 3. With the mutant angle and all that jazz, I wasn't sure how it would be treated on Indian silver screen, and my scepticism wasn't wrong.

If you are a fan of sci-fi, and the X-Men series to be more specific, Krrish 3 will remind you of nothing else. Especially if you know the characters by heart and know their superpowers (guilty), you'll see nothing original in the film. Except for the role of Rohit Mehra which I thought was treated with respect and finesse and the character spectacularly performed by Hrithik Roshan. The brief flashback definitely helps refresh the audience memory and maintain continuity. You will find no difference between the Rohit Mehra of Koi Mil Gaya and the one in Krrish 3, except for the wrinkled face and the unmissable pot belly. This character, in my opinion, was the only redeeming factor in a movie otherwise too high on melodrama and destruction.

I must also credit Kangana Ranaut's performance which deserves a special mention. Her version of Mystique was quite impressive and the body language she maintains right till the end, praiseworthy. And Vivek Oberoi was impressive for as long as he was on that wheelchair, once he got on his feet, I'll just say his character lost it's charm. The climax loosely reminded me of the Man of Steel climax. Somehow I thought in both movies the villain dies an easy death, even though they've destroyed most of the city by that time.

In some scenes, the editing treatment, acting, music and mug shots seemed very 2003. In such scenes, the difference in schedules and cost restraints become extremely apparent. But and that's a big BUT, I won't write Krrish 3 off, and here's why:

I'm an avid follower of The Front Row (TFR) with Anupama Chopra and I'd watched her review of the movie on the day of its release. What I couldn't fathom was, if the movie was so bad why did she rate it three and half stars? But after watching the film, I'm completely on board with her regarding the VFX (ranges from tacky to spectacular), the gorgeous Hrithik Roshan and the fact that with Krrish 3, Indian sci-fi has taken a huge leap forward.

And I couldn't agree more when she says, "cut the Roshans some slack and enjoy."

My recommendation: Go watch it! You'll feel an innate need to cheer for the home-grown superhero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Man of Steel: Superman reinvented

The Jungle Book