Supermarketwala: Secrets to Winning Consumer India

This is not typically the kind of book I would read, but I really have no clue how I chanced upon it. It just appeared one day, on the 'books that might interest me' list on my Amazon account.
So I read the synopsis, it seemed interesting, so I went ahead and scrolled through the comments and reviews. Most people had only good things to say and that's rare when it comes to books. So obviously then, I bought it. And I'm glad I did.

The author, Damodar Mall, is an extremely learned man. I can only imagine how much one can learn from just being around him. And I don't know if he'll ever read my review, but I sincerely thank him for writing a book and spreading his treasure trove of knowledge.

It's amazing how much insight one can get by just walking through a market or even just standing behind the billing counter of a supermarket. I was awed by some of these insights.

Supermarketwala was an amazing read for me because of two reasons - i) I belong to the marketing/advertising industry and I'm positive I'll be using these gems somewhere down the line in my career, if not immediately and ii) It opens your mind to a whole new world of what's going on behind the scenes in a supermarket. At least for me, I never knew or didn't think of it the way it is.

Coming to the contents of the book, if I begin to explain, I could do a chapter by chapter analysis. But that would take away all the fun for you. Instead, I'll just say, the profiling of women and the case studies are gold. You'll never get to see such insights, out in a public forum. I just lapped them up (you know, in case I want to start my own supermarket or something).

Disclaimer: you may not like this book if you're not involved with some kind of trading/marketing/advertising/retail owner kind of role. But if you're one of those avid learners, pick this book up by all means. 

You know, there are some books that you read and feel enriched. This is one of those.

My recommendation: It's such amazing learning. It's a must-read.


Comments

Damodar Mall said…
I am glad, you find the easy read insights of SupermarketWala, useful. You use very kind words. Many thanks. I am just a fellow marketer and a grocer...
Unknown said…
I am humbled, sir. Really appreciate you taking the time out to leave a comment here. Thank you (once again).

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Man of Steel: Superman reinvented

The Jungle Book