Classics: A Few Good Men

I'd like to start with a couple of classic movies.
Husband and I are doing a 'Classics Special'.
We're trying to watch, not necessarily Academy winning movies but, Academy-level performances.
I'll keep it really short.

A young Tom Cruise, a young Demi Moore - what more could you ask for?

No.

This movie is more than just their faces. It just goes to show that at some point in time, actors were paid to act, not just appear pretty on the screen.

For those who haven't watched it, it's about a murder investgation in the US Marine Corps.
The unfortunate death of a young cadet raises many questions about the conduct and treatment meted out to new recruits in the Corps.

Enter the star of the show - Jack Nicholson.
He's vicious. He's proud. He's arrogant.
There's no one you want to hate more. And I felt this way as I watched it in 2014. I can only imagine the impact his performance might've had in 1992. And rightfully so, he was nominated for an Academy Award for it (but sadly didn't win).

Tom Cruise was exceptional, too, as the Navy lawyer. As was Demi Moore as his Army counterpart.

When I told my husband I'd never watched this movie, I wish I could show you his expression. He just stared at me, mouth agape.

Coming back to the point, A Few Good Men's climax leaves nothing more to ask for. It's what you would call an epic courtroom drama at the end of which there will be one court martial.

I found myself at the edge of my seat, nodding in agreement or shaking my head in disapproval as the plot thickened. Had I moved any closer to the TV, I'd probably have to sit in it.

IMDb rates this movie a 7.6. But I think it deserves way more.
For its plot, intensity and performances, I give A Few Good Men an out and out rating.

It's been the best start to our 'Classics Special' phase.

My recommendation: No I don't recommend. I say WATCH IT!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Man of Steel: Superman reinvented

The Jungle Book