Was the jawani really deewani?

Absolutely! 

The much awaited Ranbir Kapoor (RK) - Deepika Padukone (DP) starrer was like a breath of fresh air. I know, I know, you might think of me as either of two things - an ardent admirer of Ranbir Kapoor or an enthusiast of the KJo brand of films - let me clear the air and say I'm neither. But I am an unabashed, self-proclaimed fan of Deepika Padukone (no I'm not gay, I'm just in awe of how well she's handled her life - personal & professional. Now that's what you call moving on). 

Having established my credibility to review this film, I will also take my own cue from the previous sentence. 

The movie is fast-paced and keeps you engaged with the way the characters constantly evolve and deal with sensitive emotions. RK is magnificent, effortless and proves his blue blood lineage with his portrayal of Bunny and DP is restrained, strong and fabulous as Naina. Kalki Koechlin has amazing screen presence as Aditi and Aditya Roy Kapoor was convincing as Avi, but his role didn't give him much scope to really perform. A special mention to Farooq Shaikh who plays RK's dad in the film. The father-son interactions are most touching. 

The film has a certain energy that carries it through, even though the story isn't really one-of-a-kind. And the issues and challenges that the characters face are very true to this age and hence extremely relate-able. Except for when they break into a song-and-dance routine, which I didn't complain about much because the music was excellent - foot-tapping, young and vibrant. Pritam can take a bow. RK is like a dream in the Badtameez Dil number.

My recommendation: Truth be told, it is an undeniable feel-good film, and a good one at that. Go watch it and feel good :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Man of Steel: Superman reinvented

The Jungle Book